- Title Pages
- I Reflections
- 1 Video Capture: Machinima, Documentation, and the History of Virtual Worlds
- 2 From Game Mod to Low-Budget Film: The Evolution of Machinima
- 3 Arrested Development: Why Machinima Can’t (or Shouldn’t) Grow Up
- II Technology
- 4 Toward a Machinima Studio
- 5 Image Future
- 6 Tangible Narratives: Emerging Interfaces for Digital Storytelling and Machinima
- III Performance
- 7 Machinima as Media
- 8 Encoding Liveness: Performance and Real-Time Rendering in Machinima
- 9 Machinima: From Art Object to Cultural Practice
- 10 Of Games and Gestures: Machinima and the Suspension of Animation
- IV Machine Cinema
- 11 How Do You Solve a Problem Like Machinima?
- 12 Machinimatic Realism: Capturing and Presenting the “Real World” of Video Games
- 13 Undefining Machinima
- V Pedagogy
- 14 Everything I Need to Know about Filmmaking I Learned from Playing Video Games: The Educational Promise of Machinima
- 15 Machinima and Modding: Pedagogic Means for Enhancing Computer Game Literacy
- VI Context
- 16 Pink vs. Blue: The Emergence of Women in Machinima
- 17 Participatory Fan Culture and Half-Life 2 Machinima: A Dialogue among Ethnography, Culture, and Space
- 18 Don’t Mess with <i>The Warriors</i>: The Politics of Machinima
- (p.vii) Introduction
- The Machinima Reader
- The MIT Press
This chapter first sets out the book’s main goals, which are to introduce to a broad readership the various debates that have emerged in the machinima community and to provide a primary resource for the critical study of machinima. It then discusses how machinima has emerged as a game-based cultural practice of digital media, followed by an overview of the subsequent chapters.
MIT Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.