- Title Pages
- 1 Music and the Origins of Ancient Science
- 2 The Dream of Oresme
- 3 Moving the Immovable
- 4 Hearing the Irrational
- 5 Kepler and the Song of the Earth
- 6 Descartes’s Musical Apprenticeship
- 7 Mersenne’s Universal Harmony
- 8 Newton and the Mystery of the Major Sixth
- 9 Euler: The Mathematics of Musical Sadness
- 10 Euler: From Sound to Light
- 11 Young’s Musical Optics
- 12 Electric Sounds
- 13 Hearing the Field
- 14 Helmholtz and the Sirens
- 15 Riemann and the Sound of Space
- 16 Tuning the Atoms
- 17 Planck’s Cosmic Harmonium
- 18 Unheard Harmonies
- Sources and Illustration Credits
MIT Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.