- Title Pages
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Genomes as Permutations
- 3 Distances between Unsigned Permutations
- 4 Distances between Signed Permutations
- 5 Rearrangements of Partial Orders
- 6 Graph-Theoretic and Linear Algebra Formulations
- 7 Generalities
- 8 Distances between Arbitrary Strings
- 9 Distances between Balanced Strings
- III Multichromosomal Models
- 10 Paths and Cycles
- 11 Cycles of a Permutation
- 12 Set Systems and the Syntenic Distance
- IV Multigenomic Models
- 13 Median and Halving Problems
- 14 Rearrangement Phylogenies
- 15 Software
- 16 Open Problems
- A Graph Theory
- B Complexity Theory
- (p.1) 1 Introduction
- Combinatorics of Genome Rearrangements
- The MIT Press
This introductory chapter first discusses the molecular evolution and the birth of the combinatorics of genome rearrangements. It then describes the genome rearrangement problem; the scope of the present survey; an overview of the models; and the organization of the book.
MIT Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.