- Title Pages
- Global Environmental Accord: Strategies for Sustainability and Institutional Innovation
- Series Foreword
- 1 Adaptive Governance
- 2 The Vulnerability Response Framework
- I Tropical Tunas
- 3 Bigeye Tuna
- 4 Yellowfin Tuna
- 5 Skipjack Tuna
- II Billfishes
- 6 Northern Swordfish
- 7 Southern Swordfish
- 8 Blue Marlin and White Marlin
- III Bluefin Tuna
- 9 Western Bluefin Tuna
- 10 Eastern Bluefin Tuna
- 11 Conclusion
- Appendix A Group of 18
- Appendix B Comprehensive Vulnerability Classifications
- Appendix C Summary of Evidence from the Cases
- Appendix D Proxy Indicators for Competitiveness
- Appendix E Proxy Indicators for Flexibility
- Appendix F Delineating High-Flex and Low-Flex Phases for Gradually Vulnerable Countries
- (p.133) 7 Southern Swordfish
- Adaptive Governance
D. G. Webster
- The MIT Press
This chapter focuses on the management measures implemented to protect the southern swordfish stock. International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas member states have supported stringent measures to prevent overexploitation of the stock. The peculiar geographic location of the stock of southern Atlantic swordfish results in its extensive exploitation by developing coastal countries compared with the northern states. Several moderately vulnerable fleets engaged in swordfish fishing are expected to express more concern about its extensive exploitation, and are also expected to block or oppose any measures that will restrict the expansion and operation of the fleets. Moderately vulnerable fleets from coastal states can also expand the power of national responses compared with the northern swordfish case.
MIT Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.