The MIT Press
- © 2009 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form by any
- electronic or mechanical means (including photocopying, recording, or information
- storage and retrieval) without permission in writing from the publisher.
- For information about special quantity discounts, please email special_sales@
- This book was set in Sabon on 3B2 by Asco Typesetters, Hong Kong.
- Printed on recycled paper and bound in the United States of America.
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Webster, D. G., 1975–
- Adaptive governance : the dynamics of Atlantic fisheries management / D. G.
- p. cm. — (Global environmental accord)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- ISBN 978-0-262-23270-8 (hardcover : alk. paper) — ISBN 978-0-262-73192-8
- (pbk. : alk. paper) 1. Fishery management. 2. Fishery policy.
- 3. Intergovernmental cooperation. I. Title.
- SH328.W43 2008
- 338.3′727—dc22 2008017103
- 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Nazli Choucri, ed., Global Accord: Environmental Challenges and International Responses
Peter M. Haas, Robert O. Keohane, and Marc A. Levy, eds., Institutions for the Earth: Sources of Effective International Environmental Protection
Ronald B. Mitchell, Intentional Oil Pollution at Sea: Environmental Policy and Treaty Compliance
Robert O. Keohane and Marc A. Levy, eds., Institutions for Environmental Aid: Pitfalls and Promise
Oran R. Young, ed., Global Governance: Drawing Insights from the Environmental Experience
Jonathan A. Fox and L. David Brown, editors, The Struggle for Accountability: The World Bank, NGOs, and Grassroots Movements
David G. Victor, Kal Raustiala, and Eugene B. Skolnikoff, eds., The Implementation and Effectiveness of International Environmental Commitments: Theory and Practice
Mostafa K. Tolba, with Iwona Rummel-Bulska, Global Environmental Diplomacy: Negotiating Environmental Agreements for the World, 1973–1992 Karen T. Litfin, ed., The Greening of Sovereignty in World Politics Edith Brown Weiss and Harold K. Jacobson, eds., Engaging Countries: Strengthening Compliance with International Environmental Accords
Oran R. Young, ed., The Effectiveness of International Environmental Regimes: Causal Connections and Behavioral Mechanisms
Ronie Garcia-Johnson, Exporting Environmentalism: U.S. Multinational Chemical Corporations in Brazil and Mexico
Lasse Ringius, Radioactive Waste Disposal at Sea: Public Ideas, Transnational Policy Entrepreneurs, and Environmental Regimes
Robert G. Darst, Smokestack Diplomacy: Cooperation and Conflict in East-West Environmental Politics
Urs Luterbacher and Detlef F. Sprinz, eds., International Relations and Global Climate Change
Edward L. Miles, Arild Underdal, Steinar Andresen, Jørgen Wettestad, Jon Birger Skjærseth, and Elaine M. Carlin, Environmental Regime Effectiveness: Confronting Theory with Evidence
Erika Weinthal, State Making and Environmental Cooperation: Linking Domestic and International Politics in Central Asia
Oran R. Young, The Institutional Dimensions of Environmental Change: Fit, Interplay, and Scale
Tamar L. Gutner, Banking on the Environment: Multilateral Development Banks and Their Environmental Performance in Central and Eastern Europe
Liliana B. Andonova, Transnational Politics of the Environment: The European Union and Environmental Policy in Central and Eastern Europe
David L. Levy and Peter J. Newell, eds., The Business of Global Environmental Governance
Dennis Pirages and Ken Cousins, eds., From Resource Scarcity to Ecological Security: Exploring New Limits to Growth
Ken Conca, Governing Water: Contentious Transnational Politics and Global Institution Building
Sebastian Oberthür and Thomas Gehring, eds., Institutional Interaction in Global Environmental Governance: Synergy and Conflict among International and EU Policies
Ronald B. Mitchell, William C. Clark, David W. Cash, and Nancy M. Dickson, eds., Global Environmental Assessments: Information and Influence Helmut Breitmeier, Oran R. Young, and Michael Zürn, Analyzing International Environmental Regimes: From Case Study to Database
J. Timmons Roberts and Bradley C. Parks, A Climate of Injustice: Global Inequality, North-South Politics, and Climate Policy Saleem H. Ali, ed., Peace Parks: Conservation and Conflict Resolution
D. G. Webster, Adaptive Governance: The Dynamics of Atlantic Fisheries Management