- Title Pages
- The Field Guide Online
- 1 Librarianship—Full Stop
- 2 They Named the Building after Us
- 3 The Mission of Librarians
- 4 Knowledge Creation
- 5 Facilitation
- 6 Participatory Systems
- 7 Improve Society
- 8 Librarians
- 9 Pragmatic Utopians
- 10 What Is a Library?
- 11 Saving Money and the World
- 12 A Platform for Knowledge Development
- 13 Fitting Knowledge in a Box
- 14 Academic Libraries
- 15 School Libraries
- 16 Public Libraries
- 17 Engines of Advancement
- 18 Coda
- Excursus: From Mission to Missionary
- Facilitating New Librarianship Learning
- Observations from the Field
- FAQs (Frequently Argued Questions)
- Discussion Points
- Additional Reading
- (p.145) 16 Public Libraries
- The New Librarianship Field Guide
R. David Lankes
- The MIT Press
The core of this chapter can be summarized as “The Community is the Collection” and discusses the role and activities of public libraries in communities. Community reference is outlined. The bulk of the chapter discusses the perils of public libraries that seek to be all things to all people and how librarians react to a retreating public support system.
MIT Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.